Saturday, February 15, 2014

Galileo Galilei's 450 Birthday

The greatest astronomer ever, Galileo Galilei, was born 450 years ago today. To quote National Geographic, "Discoverer of moons, toppler of Aristotle's physics, and celebrated loser of history's most famous heresy trial, Galileo Galilei's greatest invention, in truth, was our own modern world."

You want to treat yourself to something special? Get yourself a good telescope (I inherited mine from my father-in-law) and look at the Galilean moons of Jupiter sometime. It'll blow your mind if you'll let it.

4 comments:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Reminds me that I used to beg for a telescope when i was a kid -- another forgotten dream. "Nevertheless it moves!"

Unknown said...

Galileo? I fucked him !!

Mythical Monkey said...

Like sleeping with a burlap sack full of cold fertilizer at this point, I'd think, Andy.

Mythical Monkey said...

another forgotten dream.

It's never too late, I have found.