Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Great Recasting Blogathon (Part Two): More Silent Movies You'll Never See

The Monkey's contribution to the Great Recasting Blogathon continues apace today. In addition to yesterday's full-blown treatment of Ocean's Eleven, here are more posters for silent movies you will never see. With the exception of the Erich von Stroheim movie, they are straight "pre-makes" of the movies you know and love.

Oh, and yes, I do realize Lawrence of Arabia was released in 1962 and thus doesn't qualify for the blogathon. For that matter, 24 was a television show and doesn't qualify either.

Sue me.

As always, you can click on the pictures to see them full size.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1902)

Unforgiven (1904)

24 (1913)

Clerks (1916)

The Princess Diaries (1917)

Groundhog Day (1918)

The 40-Year-Old Virgin (1919)

Lawrence of Arabia (1920)

Play Time (1921)

Fatal Attraction (1922)

Reservoir Dogs (1922)

Hamlet (1923)

Sleeper (1923)

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1924)

127 Hours
(1925)


The Elephant Man (1926)

John Carter (1926)

Manhattan (1926)

Titanic
(1927)

Easy A (1927)

Working Girl (1927)

Mean Girls (1928)

Out of Africa (1928)

Wall Street (1929)

Belle de Jour (1929)

10 comments:

awopbopaloobopalopbamboom said...

Great reacasting posters !

My personal favorites : Wall St. (Eisenstein), Manhattan by Lubitsch, the tagline "Garbo Swims!", 127 hours...

callmemadam said...

These just crack me up! I really like Mean Girls, the Princess Diaries and 127 Hours, but it was the tag lines for Out of Africa and Titanic that really got me:

"Garbo Swims!" rofl!

Lasso The Movies said...

Wonderful job on these. I will definitely be there for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Manhattan. Thanks for putting in so much work.

FlickChick said...

Monkey - you are a genius. Words can't describe how delightful and inventive and movie-lovable-liscious (is that a word?) this post is. Great work!

Mr_Sheldrake said...

The Titanic one is great. I think some of these are good enough that they'd make good DVD covers. Great job!

Kevyn Knox said...

Fantastic job on these, both creatively and visually. I especially like Eisentstein's Wall Street and Lillian Gish as the 40 Year Old Virgin, Great stuff. Also the 127 Hours von Stroheim, actually being 127 hours long is heeeelarious.

Again, great job. I wish the posters I made for my contribution to the blogathon were even half as good-looking as these.

VP81955 said...

Great ideas! In response, I'll see if I can create a poster for my 1938 reworking of "Housesitter," with Carole Lombard and Cary Grant in the Goldie Hawn and Steve Martin roles.

Marcela Costa :} said...

This is amazing! I would especially love to see Garbo and Gilbert on Titanic and Joan Crawford on Mean Girls! Joanie might actually save the movie!!

Meredith said...

Wonderful! And Buster Keaton in Playtime is such a tease. As much as I love Tati what I wouldn't give for that to be real!

Kevyn Knox said...

Have I mentioned how much I love these posters? I did? Okay, then why not just hand you the Liebster Award and move on. Details here: http://themostbeautifulfraudintheworld.blogspot.com/2012/08/an-award-or-two.html