Monday, February 1, 2010

Poll Results: Bringing Up Baby Is Your Favorite Howard Hawks Movie Of The 1930s

Poll numbers don't lie. Bringing Up Baby is your favorite Howard Hawks movie of the 1930s, even if it isn't.

My good pal and movie mentor, bellotoot, called this one a week ago when he wrote "Bringing Up Baby going away. Scarface and Only Angels Have Wings, pick 'em. Twentieth Century trails the pack." And indeed, the final numbers were 11 votes for Baby, 6 each for Scarface and Angels and 1 for Twentieth Century. Bellotoot, who has a Chaplin poster on his wall and a "Rufus T. Firefly" nameplate on his desk, proves once again that when it comes to movies, he is the master and the Monkey his humble servant.

5 comments:

Maggie said...

"You're angry, aren't you?"

Mythical Monkey said...

"You're angry, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am."
"Mm-hmm. The love impulse in men frequently reveals itself in terms of conflict."

"Now it isn't that I don't like you, Susan, because, after all, in moments of quiet, I'm strangely drawn toward you, but - well, there haven't been any quiet moments."

And the line that has pretty much guided me throughout my life:

"When a man is wrestling a leopard in the middle of a pond, he's in no position to run."

Which is so true.

mister muleboy said...

Harumph!

Bringing Up Baby will be projected onto a silver screen [I think it may really be a silver screen there in the main room. . .] at the AFI Silver.

It opens this Friday, Feb. 5

They're calling for 18"-24" of snow to fall on Friday, Feb 5.


%^$#&*$^@&*

Mythical Monkey said...

It opens this Friday, Feb. 5

Yeah, I was going to suggest that you and Ms. M meet KtBTD and me in Silver Spring to see it but I have a feeling we'd be camping out there until Tuesday.

Which wouldn't be that bad if they keep the projector running and bring in food periodically ...

mister muleboy said...

I was going to suggest that you and Ms. M meet KtBTD and me in Silver Spring to see it

My plan too.

But I have to stay in NoVa with my mother, my father, my grandmother, and my great-grandfather. . . .