Tuesday, August 18, 2009

In Lieu Of Content, Louise Brooks

Although I haven't posted any entries lately, I really have been working overtime on the blog. In order to write about movies, from time to time, you have to stop and watch them. Since Friday, when the Mule talked me into seeing The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard, I've watched Holiday (1930), An American Tragedy (1931), The Guardsman (1931), A Free Soul (1931), One Hour With You (1932), Zero For Conduct (1933), L'Atalante (1934) and Five Graves To Cairo (1943). Not to mention, Katie-Bar-The-Door and I saw Hayao Miyazaki's latest animated film, Ponyo, which we both highly recommend.

That's ten new movies in four days.

Oh, and I dug out Diary Of A Lost Girl (1929) and watched that again, too.

Today, I am back to writing, drafting my essay on the Best Director of 1929-30 (the nominees, in case you've forgotten: Lewis Milestone, King Vidor and Josef von Sternberg). Look for that later today or tomorrow.

In the meantime, new reader General Buck Turgidson suggests less Douglas Fairbanks and more Jean Harlow. How about Katie nominee Louise Brooks instead?

3 comments:

Gen. Buck Turgidson said...

I felt bad when I told Louise:

I know how it is, baby. Tell you what you do. You just start your countdown, and old Bucky'll be back here before you can say... Blast Off!

Hmmmm. As many of you know, I am a fan of short-haired, strong-shouldered women with delightful eyes.

So I can only say


HUBBA HUBBA.

I love me my Louise Brooks.

Hot-Chick Content = good

Gen. Buck Turgidson said...

"in lieu of content"?


IN LIEU OF CONTENT?

IN LIEU OF CONTENT ??!?!?


I beg to differ.


THIS was content!

Mythical Monkey said...

Just a little something for the boys down in the war room ...