Thursday, July 15, 2010

In Answer To A Question From Thomas Gladysz, Director Of The Louise Brooks Society

Yesterday I mentioned that I saw a picture of Louise Brooks on the cover of a magazine recently, which prompted a question from Thomas Gladysz, director of the Louise Brooks Society website and editor of a new edition of The Diary Of A Lost Girl (which you can order here).

"Pray tell," he asked, "what was it?"

To which I replied with my usual precision, "I think it was some sort of fashion magazine, maybe a vintage fashion magazine."

Actually, it was Somerset Studio, a magazine devoted to "The Art of Paper and Mixed-Media." Close, huh. In my defense, I will say that the word "fashion" does appear somewhere on the cover. So I'm not a complete idiot.

The cover photo is a piece called "Fearless" by artist Anahata Katkin, who has her own blog and online store here.

Without having ever talked to the artist or the magazine, I'm going out on a limb and saying that the collage piece was based on this photo of Louise Brooks. Can't say for sure. But I will say as a general matter that if that's not Louise Brooks, I'll eat the magazine, all 160 pages of it. Which incidentally, you can buy here, or, if you prefer, at the Barnes and Noble three miles from my house.

I'll meet you for coffee.

P.S. You should check out Anahata Katkin's work. I think she's on to something.

2 comments:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Once again, the eyes have it -- you can't fake those Louise Brooks eyes.

Anonymous said...

I really like the magazine cover, I agree, the artist is definitely on too something. thanks for sharing.